Tuesday, May 12, 2009

He was my rock.

It's not such a wonderful life anymore...

I've been dreading sitting down to write this post, but here it goes. We lost my Pop-Pop last Tuesday. A week ago from today. Life has been a blur and all my days have melted together since then. He passed away in the hospital with family gathered all around him, at 92 years old. He was my buddy. We were inseparable and I don't know how I am going to go on without him. Not a day has passed that I haven't cried about losing him. Life will never be the same. The viewing was yesterday and I think that was possibly the worst day of my life. I was asked to give his eulogy, and hope I made him proud of what I said. While figuring out how to write about a man I've known my entire life (24 years) on a few pieces of paper I came across this poem that fit perfectly for how Pop would have wanted us to feel.

To Those Whom I love & Those Who Love Me

By Mary Alice Ramish

When I am gone, release me, let me go.
I have so many things to see and do,
You mustn't tie yourself to me with too many tears,
But be thankful we had so many good years.

I gave you my love, and you can only guess
How much you've given me in happiness.
I thank you for the love that you have shown,
But now it is time I traveled on alone.

So grieve for me a while, if grieve you must,
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It is only for a while that we must part,
So treasure the memories within your heart.

I won't be far away for life goes on.
And if you need me, call and I will come.

Though you can't see or touch me, I will be near.
And if you listen with your heart, you'll hear,
All my love around you soft and clear.

And then, when you come this way alone,
I'll greet you with a smile and a 'Welcome Home'.


I love you Pop!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hearing from you seriously MAKES my day, feel free to leave some love below!