Tuesday, February 21, 2012

People Pleasing-NO MORE!

A few months ago a fellow blogger turned me onto an UH-ma-zing author, Angela Thomas.  
As you may have guessed she writes Christian novels and has that mom perspective that I love o.so.much these days!  
I just finished a book by her called Do You Know Who I am? 
 This is the second of her books that I have read.  
There is a part in the book where she talks about trying to appease people, and get along with people in order to keep the peace because we are called to.  
Angela says:

"Sure, some people are just downright mean, but we are called to
 try anyway...up to a point and then we can follow Jesus' example of what to do if we 
try and it doesn't work.  If someone is repeatedly rude, distant, or unwilling to hear even your most gracious heart of compassion toward them, first, "It it is possible, as far as it is depends on you, live at peace with everyone (Romans 12:18).  Next, if they are still unresponsive to your heart like Jesus toward them, then you're done.  Shake the dust off your sandals and go the other way
 (Matthew 10:14). 

 It's just as simple as that-literally
Try and try again, and if you are still not being show the same respect you are giving then...
 LET IT GO.  
Boy, this has been a  HUUUUGE one for me!  
I have never been able to let anything go.  
I am the type of person that dissects every conversation over and over in my head on what I should have or could have said better.  
To not sound so stupid, or to have stopped stuttering over my words.  
But the truth is the Bible says it's okay to let it go.  
Be done with it and use my energy for other things.  
Better, happier things.
Don't waste time on someone who won't show you the time of day.  
We don't have to have perfect relationship with every person we encounter. 
And that's okay. 
We don't have to mesh with every co-worker our ours. 
And that's okay. 
 Lord knows that I have been there and done that to the point where I just don't know how else to get a person to like me.
Well guess what? 
Not everybody is going to.
I'm just learning this....and it's amazing!
What a freeing feeling :)
Maybe someone had a terrible life event that changed their personality or made them into the bitter-Betty they have become.
Either way-it's not my fault.  
I can't fix them. 
I can try, and I will.
I will try my hardest to show them kindness and respect.
I am told to give it my all.
I am to be as kind as I can. 
And then when it doesn't go any further.  
I let it go.
Because that is what the Bible says!
Hallelujah!

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. -Colossians 3:12

1 comment:

Hearing from you seriously MAKES my day, feel free to leave some love below!